A lot of people think that if they come to church they will be struck by lightning. I promise you that dropping in at Giving Hope should not result in weather anomalies – although we are a little different than you might expect. Here are some unique things about us:
- We are in a store front space. Our worship space and general building may not look like you expect church to look. We promise we are still a church – even though we don’t sport a steeple or a parking lot. We offer curbside parking and there is a lot at the museum next door that we are allowed to use, too.
- We are an intergenerational congregation and our services reflect that – which is just a fancy way of saying that our kids stay in our service. We don’t mind if they are a little noisy, either – after all, they are still kids even at church. We also like to have kids involved in the services, so don’t be surprised if children are helping with the offering or communion. We believe that children aren’t the future of the church – they are the church right now. We do have a space set aside in the sanctuary for little ones to play with toys, read books, or color during the service.
- We receive communion every week. In the Church of the Nazarene, we believe this meal is a sacrament – a holy encounter with God – proclaiming Jesus’s life, sufferings, death, resurrection, and the hope of Christ’s coming again. We acknowledge God’s presence among us in a special way each time we celebrate the Lord’s Supper. We also remember anew the death Jesus endured and we receive afresh the life into which the Holy Spirit calls us. We invite everyone to participate, even if you are not a member of our church or any other church.
- We have a woman pastor. This may be a surprise to you if you have never seen that before. Our pastor has been called by God and ordained by the Church of the Nazarene to serve in Momence. She loves Jesus, preaches faithfully, and wants to get to know you better. If you are not comfortable with that, we understand and we hope you find a church that works for you.
- We do not have a worship leader at this time. Our music is selected by pastor and includes somewhat of a mix of hymns and contemporary songs, but all of them are video-led.
- We exist not for Sunday mornings, but for how we live in the community. We need Sunday morning worship and Bible study during the week to give us the tools we need to serve. We serve not just to offer things to those around us, but to give away the hope that we have. We truly believe that the hope of Christ is the most precious gift we have – and that by giving it away by loving our neighbors is the most Christlike thing we can do.
If you have any questions about us, please call or email Pastor Jen:
815-472-4654 or firstname.lastname@example.org